Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Post Two

*disclaimer-I am having way too much fun with my new toy-the scanner*

Post Two: My first love

My obvious first thought was DUH its MATT...because that was my first TRUE and REAL love.

But then I think that the post was meant to be about my first "puppy" love. I think back about all the silly little crushes that I had and how minor they seem now when back then they were SUCH a big deal. I think I was a boy crazy girl...starting around 3rd grade...I always had a list of crushes!!

So..one particular 4th grade crush was Jeff Ahrens. He lived up the street from me. He was so cute. He actually liked me back. His sister had a crush on my brother so I think she encouraged him a bit. ALSO..HIS best friend was boyfriend/girlfriend with my best friend-so there you have it. He brought me a rose, wrote me notes...we even had a song (his choice) Def Leppard's LOVEBITES. Even today everytime I hear it, I think of him and giggle. He introduced me to MTV and the songs of the moment were "Don't Need Nothin' But a Good Time" and "Pour Some Sugar On Me"...to this day I still know every word to both of those songs. Our romance didn't last long, but we did remain friends. We went to Jr High and High school together and graduated together. After that I lost track until I was planning my 10 year reunion and I found him, he moved away to Washington and...I found out he is, well, Gay. I had no idea and I don't judge. He was such a sweet guy and I wish him the best.
Jeff and his family circa 1989

My first "real" kiss was Cameron Candelaria. I had a crush on him all year during my 8th grade year and he sort of strung me along until finally at the end of the year he kissed me one weekend. BUT on Monday it was back to being "just" friends. I think that I was a bit devastaed. A few years later, right after I met Matt he called me to go out on a date. HA! I told him that I had a boyfriend, sort of sweet revenge, I guess.

Cameron 1992 (This is not the best picture of him-but the only one I had)

But I guess if I think about my first "bite" of love was when I was in the 9th grade. I had never, ever thought of myself as pretty. I always felt awkward, goofy, and different. Then in my drama class I met John Roberts. He was gorgeous, funny, smart, and athletic. He was the most popular boy in 8th grade. AND he had a crush on ME!! He liked ME first. He flirted with me, we talked on the phone all the time. Our relationship never quite bloomed to that boyfriend/girlfriend status, but I would like to think it became MORE than that...we became BEST FRIENDS. We would talk on the phone all the time, give each other advice, etc. There was always a bit of underlying flirting-but we each dated other people but always stayed super close. I have to say that his friendship changed my life. The experience gave me confidence that I have kept my entire life. I was also close with his family and hung out with his family on a few occassions. His parents were so kind, his dad even used to be the mayor of West Jordan. His sister was a year older than me and was a beautiful, popular, and sweet girl who was always kind to me. John and I met in 1992 and then once in the summer of 1994 I went to visit him while I waited for a friend to get off of work. And we kissed. It was a great kiss and totally unexpected. When it was over, I literally RAN out of his house. I was so upset, worried that I had lost my "friend". Well, it didn't. We teased each other about who kissed who and we remained friends, whew. Then I met Matt in 1995 and John and I remained friends but we slowly became more and more distant. Since I was a year older in school, after I graduated we lost touch. I heard that he had got in some trouble, I don't know quite the details. I sent his parents wedding announcements and graduation announcements. A couple of years ago I ran into him and his wife at The Pie, when Matt and I were out on a date. He recognized me before I recognized him-but he looked exactly the same. He was really good looking still. I was a bit embarassed that I had gained so much weight since High School (something that usually happens to me whenever I run into someone from High School). The memories came flooding back, the highs and lows of our relationship. There are some people who have big impacts on your life and he was one of them.
John Roberts-okay NOW it is a bit creepy to be talking about a 14 year old.

My first real boyfriend was Rusty Warner. He was the first person to tell me that he loved me. We met in our Lab 2000 class (it sounded so futuristic in the year 1994). He had his own car. He loved Metallica. He was easy going and funny. We only dated for a few months but it really taught me about being in a relationship and helped me determine what I really wanted in a "boyfriend".
Rusty and I at Morp 1994

Well, that is a lot of info. What can I say, I am a share-er. I hope Matt isn't mad at me for sharing these details. I am not a girl of regrets, my past has made me who I am and has prepared me for my TRUE love that has lasted going on 16 years (or the age of a newly drivers-licensed teen-ager yikes!). I just couldn't imagine my life without my soul-mate, Mathew, LOVE YA BABE!
Matt and I's FIRST picture July 4th 1995 and
Our Engagement Picture April 1999

3 comments:

Misty said...

Wow, I took the easy way out and you just went for it. :) What a fun post to read. And oh, that horrible '90s style. :)

Beth said...

HOW on Earth did you get the photos of past boyfriends? Esp the family pic of the first kid?

Ali said...

Wow Rach that was so fun! A total trip down memory lane for me too! You have such an amazing memory for detail. Very impressive! :)