Thursday, March 17, 2011

Post Three

Post Three: My Parents


I am sure that I am not the only person who thinks they have the best parents in the world-but I really do!
I''ll share some of the defining characteristics..at least the ones I remember and probably will forever.
My Dad's name is Mark John Lovato. He is the one of seven kids. He looks just like his two brothers. I joke that he looks like a cross between Cheech and Chong. He loves sports. I can always tell when he is mad because he creases his forehead. He was a strict dad-but he is easy going now. He has always stressed education-he was a High School teacher and guidance counselor for over 30 years. He has the ability to make you feel like you are the coolest person in the world-he did it to me as a kid and it melts my heart to see him do it with my children. He loves black licorice. He says "wubba wubba" when he burps. He is the best listener you'll ever meet. He is a home-body. He is left-handed. He always loves a good deal. I have his hands and his feet. He hates Green Peppers. He is a night owl. I don't think he ever once yelled at anyone...just sort of talked loudly and calmy. I have never seen him cry. Now that he is retired he thinks his full time job is to find ways to annoy my mom (currently the mullet that he is growing). After he takes a sip of a drink he says "good whiskey", even if it is just a cola. He has a knack for trivia-any type of trivia-he has the most amazing memory. He kicks my butt at any game...even Croquet and he takes no prisoners. I thought of myself as a daddy's girl, and maybe I still do.

My Mom's name is Anne Cecile Duplantis Lovato. She is the oldest of nine children. She grew up all over the country with my grandpa being in the Air Force. My grandma only had one arm so my mom was literally her left arm. She left her family to marry my dad and I have always admired the fact that she gave up living near her family to be with him. She is the most amazing cook. She always keeps things cleaned and organized. She never drives on the freeway. She is the closest thing to perfect I know. She loves Red Lobster. She doesn't get emotional like me. She has long, thick, beautiful hair. She always tries to see both sides of the story. She can't let my kids out of her door without kisses, hugs, and treats. She has had the same, amazing cursive since High School-exact same! She is very religious and often told me a prayer heals everything-especially nightmares. I think she really believes that the world is ending in 2012. She loves coffee. She is the most forgiving person I know. I can't really think of anything she "hates". She always puts everyone else first. She is my hero.
Both of my parents are just plain wonderful. I had such a great and happy childhood full of so many great memories. They have always been so supportive, encouraging, and forgiving. They both made tremendous sacrifices for me and all my siblings-I guess they still do.
I am so glad that they have extended their scope of influence onto my kids, I am grateful for all the time they have with my children. I love that I get to see them nearly everyday. All of my time spent with them is truly enjoyable. I love them so very much.


1 comment:

Misty said...

This post made me tear up! They both sound amazing, and I'm sure they since you are a product of them.<3