Lauren told me that she is working on a presentation at school on herself. She can access the internet and my blog, but not FB OR Instagram. She asked that I post some recent pics on here as most on here are old. So..here are some random Laurenish pics.
So, I have gotten really bad at this blogging thing, which makes me sad. I really intended to make this like a journal. But it seems Facebook has really taken that role with small snippets. I will try to post here more often, maybe some deep philosophical posts, or maybe pictures of cats, no promises people.
Life flies by fast. Too fast. I think maybe fun Summers are one of the reasons why.
So I will stop, just for a second and remember this snapshot in time. Summer 2014.
Alarm goes off at 6..ish...and then keeps on going off until I can make myself sit up, around 630. My first thought every morning is "I gotta get to bed earlier".
Read Facebook to "wake me up"..til 645. At 7 am..Matt's alarm goes off...the guitar from Desperado. Then hurry get ready..hair, makeup...off we go. Pack a lunch..be out the door 730..ish. Kiss Matt goodbye, sometimes the kids are up, usually they are not.
Work is crazy..well, not too crazy, but I am always busy, never bored. I like my job because it is always a challenge, always new problems to fix. I have a great team...most of the time. I have a super awesome boss which makes the good times outweigh the bad. I usually eat lunch at my desk and snack on fruits and veggies all day. 330..time to leave.
I go pick up the kids at my moms..takes me about 30 minutes. I love seeing my mom and dad everyday. My kids love going over there. I never worry about any of them...However I will enjoy getting that hour and a half of time away from home back. My TV watching has gone straight down the drain.
Then it is off to the dance studio. We usually grab a quick bite to eat on the way. This summer I have been doing Zumba while they are in class. It is an hour long, it kicks my butt, I am soaking wet after...but I feel awesome and have made new "dance mom" friends.
We come home, get baths taken care of, and get ready for the next day. We watch a bit of TV as a fam. Then around 10, I kiss the kids goodnight and I settle in bed, I usually get there around 11. I play my games, read a little...and am asleep no later than 12.
I have to write this down, lest I forget it. Top ten dance moments of this season (according to me):
10) One of Lauren's teammates broke her shoulder and couldn't dance, RIGHT before a competition. They had to change the dance all around at the last minute. Lauren stepped up and told her teacher that she knew her part and she filled in for her without even being taught the steps. I almost cried! Lauren has had her ups and downs with her attitude/effort/enjoyment of dancing and she has finally settled on love/good attitude/high effort and I couldn't be more pleased. Seeing her step in when her team needed her, impressed me, and probably impressed Mattie even more (at least I hope so).
9) This year, my niece Isabella had her first competition season with HIP. We were at three competitions with them and I got to watch her dance, when I thought my heart was full watching my kids dance, it was just as full watching Bella dance. She is such a cutie and I hope that we see her at many more competitions. It was also great to see my friend Alex, I hadn't seen her in almost 3 years. When I saw her, I ran to her and hugged her and cried, I didn't realize how much I missed her. I am glad we have renewed our bond over dance.
8) At the last competition, Jamie and his BBOYs and some of us BBOY moms were waiting in the gym. I challenged Jamie to have a headstand competition with another BBOY named Chopper. They were on their heads FOREVER...when Chopper moved his feet ever so slowly to knock Jamie over. It was so funny to see. I still giggle when I think about it.
7) This season for Lauren there have been buns, hats and 2 wigs. At the last competition we had ONE song to change the girls..we didn't think it could be done. We all met backstage and some other moms, and teacher's helped us and in a frenzy we got ALL of the girls ready to go. They didn't even have to pause for us. I felt like a pit crew member in Nascar..ha ha. I was so proud of all of us, and of the girls. In a side note, I have loved "Grease" but I am ready to let that crazy wig, die, I am thinking of having a yard burning of it. Lauren was also not a fan of the DARLING jacket, only because it was SOO hot and one competition, I was seriously worried she was going to pass out.
6) This was Jamie's first year on a competition team and I wasn't sure how he would do. He is the youngest person on his team and there are some Jr. High boys on his team. I am so proud of him for keeping up. At the first competition, they were running WAY behind. The team had some boys not show up, so there were some last minute changes. Their teacher, Terry WORKED them that day. No one probably knew this..but those boys worked for almost 4 hours...some of them burning holes in their pants. When they came out on stage, I think everyone was BLOWN away. I was so proud. I look forward to many more years of BBOYing and hope the crew stays together for a long while, there are some darling boys on the team that have become great friends, and people that Jamie looks up to.
5) Lauren did 4 dances this year, which has been so fun. Her Jazz team, the Mini's...had only 10 girls on the team. All of her other dances had at least double that. I had a special place in my heart for the "Minis", they are all so cute, and have become good friends to Lauren. They had pretty pink costumes that really glittered on the stage. This was her only real "girly" routine and I loved seeing her shake it on the stage. For some reason "Danger Zone" just always made me tear up a little bit, I guess it just felt like it was "ours". Looking back on last year's video, she has grown SO much this year with her technique. I can't wait to see what another year will do.
4) One day Lauren came home from dance and proclaimed "I can do a back walkover" and I said "yeah right" because a year ago the girl couldn't even do a cartwheel. She proved me wrong and did like 10 walkovers in a row for me! HA! This was all self-taught! She is now begging to get into tumbling class, so we will try that out this summer and I can't wait to see what she can do with some actual training.
3) Every SINGLE TIME "Michael" was danced. Seriously, I can't get enough of it. I don't think I will EVER forget it. AND neither will my kids who pray for "Michael Jackson" every time we say prayers. No joke.
2) ALL of the wonderful dance moms who have become some of my really good friends. I look forward to dance nights and all the laughs we have. It really feels like home. I never expected to get to be so close to dance moms, it has been a pleasant surprise. You crazy gals all know who you are! Thanks for so many great nights, and good pie.
1) My kids have amazing teachers who my kids just adore. One of Lauren's teachers, Meggan, was diagnosed and subsequently treated for breast cancer. She had such a positive attitude and pretty much never missed class. This year, Lauren got an even better lesson than either of us expected...how to really fight, how to survive, how to live. I thank all of the teachers for being inspirations to so many little kiddos. We all got the news that she was cancer free, via phone, at the studio and there wasn't a dry eye in the place. It was amazing. Happy tears are the best tears.
Day 41. Sunday March 2 we celebrated Lauren's birthday with the family. We went out for lunch at Red Lobster..then we had cake and ice-cream back at our house. I always love getting together with our big old combined family. Here is my little family.
Day 42. I couldn't resist posting this picture of my little boy. I love that sometimes he will say "Mom, take my picture". When he looks this cute, who could resist?
Day 43. Tuesday March 4th, 2014. My last Diet Dr. Pepper...at least until Lent is over. I wanted to make it challenging for myself this year. So I gave up..all soda pop, candy/cookies/cake, and elevators. I wanted to limit breads, coffee/tea, Facebook/games and weighing myself. I wanted to add 4 random acts of kindness, 10 rosaries, reading the bible with the kids, and being a better wife. Whew. So far, so good. BUT still looking forward to Easter and to having an ice cold DDP!
Day 44. Wednesday March 5th. Matt left for Chicago that Monday...so I took the kids to Ash Wednesday mass by myself. I am slightly clausterphobic and at our church..holidays and special events like this are SUPER packed and I usually avoid it. I do think it was good for the kids to experience it. I told Jamie to not wipe his ashes off, but he came straight home and washed them off! What a stinker. So..here is JUST Lauren and I with our ashes on.
Day 45. With Matt being out of town, the week felt SUPER long. I took one day of PTO to come in 2 hours late for 3 days...but the days felt just as long..and I was more tired than usual, despite going in later. I posted this pic because I couldn't get that dang song that Lauren loves out of my head... "I'm a Barbie girl, in a Barbie world".....
Day 46. Friday March 7th. This day would have been Suzanne's 60th birthday. I miss her so much and think of her everyday. I would love to spend just one afternoon hearing her opinions on everything that has happened since she has been gone. I still remember her beautiful blonde hair...and how much she loved Lauren.
Day 47. I came home from work on Friday, and my husband surprised me with this Blu Ray of Catching Fire. He said "to thank you for taking care of everything while I was gone"...how sweet is that? I love everything Hunger Games..the books, the movies, the soundtracks. I totally geek out about it. Sigh.
Day 48. Sunday March 9th. Jamie has had a raspy voice on and off for the last couple of months. This past week he had complained here and there about his throat being sore. I kept taking his temperature and he hadn't been running a fever, on our way out the door for church, I took his temperature and boom, he was running a fever. SO...instead of church, we all headed to Instacare. He was positive for Strep!! Lauren tested negative. We came home and snuggled on the couch and watched Freebirds. It seems we have less and less snuggle time...so I enjoyed this time with my boy.
Day 49. This week I bought my Divergent premiere tickets. I also purchased the soundtrack. Love it, love it. One more thing my bestie and I have in common...the love for books and totally nerding out over them.
Day 50. We are in the process of getting the kids' rooms in order. The #1 problem is that they have TOO much stuff in a tiny space. We bought this bookshelf from Ikea to bring the books that were crowding up Lauren's room into the loft. For her birthday, we bought her two new dressers. It is still a work in progress, but we are getting there. One step at a time.
Trying to stay on top of my Days of Awesomeness. Time flies!
Day 31. Two days a month, Matt takes a class at work, so he is away from the office. I asked him to take a selfie and send it to me. He never does stuff like this...but being the sweet hubby he is...he made my day by sending this to me. What a handsome fella. I really am so lucky!
Day 32. I don't know what happened...I can't find #32. Facebook is so weird sometimes. Oh well.
Day 33. On February 21, my best friend Misty and our friend Destiny went to the Walk Off The Earth concert at the Venue. It was seriously one of THE BEST concerts I have ever been too. I danced so much I literally danced the curls right out of my hair! I sung at the top of my lungs and just had the time of my life. I SOO much want to do that night all over again. I don't ever really get "girls nights out", and the hubster once again was the hero dropping us all off and picking us up and taking us out for donuts and hot chocolate after. Sometimes life is SOOO good. Can you see me in this pic? (hint balcony-pink shirt, middle!)
Day 34. Sometimes Lauren and I are alike and sometimes we are VERY different. Sometimes it is good and sometimes it is bad. One way that our differences are good is that she LOVES green and yellow Sour Patch Kids and I love the red and orange ones! It makes splitting a package SUPER awesome.
Day 35. I keep this picture of my grandpa on my visor. Call me silly, but it makes me feel like he is guarding over me. Seeing him just like I remember him, just makes me plain old happy.
Day 36. Usually life is pretty awesome but sometimes I have rough days. Yes..sometimes I fail to see the bright side of life and can be somewhat crabby. Nothing can make me happier faster than this sweet little boy and his little smile. Here we are one Tuesday...in the car...waiting for his class to start.
Day 37. February 26th...my baby turned 10. Holy crap. It is hard to even remember life before her. She really is my best little buddy. I love her more than she will ever know. She can be sassy..fun..smart..sweet..cute..fashionable...daring...outspoken...quirky... I adore her.
Pic Collage was TOTALLY bugging me this day..it kept leaving a picture out...grrr..so here are two options. I am REALLY into birthday pictures. They mean so much to me, capturing a moment in time forever. I love to look back at these old pictures and see how my baby has changed over time. I remember each of moments so clearly..it makes me happy and sad at the same time.
Day 38. I have never had fish before. I have to say that I do enjoy these finned friends. I am impressed that these four have lasted almost 2 years! They have grown so much! We had to invest in a larger tank. I know Matt dreads cleaning the tank every week...but we have learned a lot about taking care of fish, and it is harder than you think. We even tried to get some little Tropical fish for the smaller tank that the big fish had outgrown and they were doing pretty good until I brought home a suckerfish that I had INSISTED on having...which consequently gave ALL of the fish ICH and slowly killed them all. I felt HORRIBLE. I loved having suckerfish, but can't bring myself to get another one after that incident. Well...Finn, Dash, Gulliver and Mr. T have done very well, so I just sick back and enjoy these guys. They really do brighten my days. Matt's too...and most mornings he usually is heard saying "HI FISHY FRIENDS"....he is the morning person NOT me.
Day 39. February 28th...we had Lauren's FRIEND birthday party...for the 5th year in a row..at the Fitness Center. This time we tried swimming. It was fun to hang out with both of my sisters too!
Day 40. We rang in March with a trip downtown to City Creek. We had lunch at the Blue Lemon and walked around to check out the creek. These three are my WORLD. Such cuties.
Day 22. I was getting worried that we were half way through the year when I realized that neither of my kids had won. I had nothing to fear!Way to go little girl! I was so happy when she showed me, I almost cried.
Day 23: I love reliving the fun of the holidays with my own children. The kids' new school encourages celebration of the holidays, so we decided to go all out on Valentine boxes. This was my first attempt. Actually, Lauren did hers all by herself, it was her idea and everything!! I took her picture and ordered it..the rest was all her. The onlya sucky thing is..now what do I do with these boxes...I don't have the heart to chuck them.
Day 24. Lauren was tickled pink when a boy from school brought her a stuffed monkey and some candy. We decided to pay him back by bringing him a gift. My normally very frugal daughter coughed up $13 for this gift. His mom and I have gotten to be friends, she is such a cute gal, and I stile this picture from her..notice Jamie and my foot in thw background. Classic. Oh..and how about Lauren pulling an "Earl"..she is her father's daughter.
Day 25. Speaking of Valentine's Day. The hubs asked what I wanted and BOOM..I got it. I love this gorgeous purse. I am so impressed that he picked such a beauty. I almost fainted when I saw thw price tag, he assured me that he did not pay that for it, whew. He loves me.
Day 26. Sometimes my kids play together very well...and that is usually when Lauren is making Jamie do something....here he is dressed up by her. I was cracking up. All was well until he did a cartwheel and smacked Lauren in the face. Peace never lasts too long.
Day 27. Feb 16...I finally made it to my four month mark!! I followed my doctors orders, and I wore these ugly bad boys almost 24x7. I stayed away from all excercise and tried to elevate and ice as much as I could. My feet feel good and I am ready to get back on my feet.
Day 28. The kids were off school February 17, so I took PTO and we had a fun day. We ate at Costa Vida and then went roller skating. It was soo much fun. I was very sore the next day from balancing the children. I didn't think they liked it, but they begged to go again and we did the next Saturday and we even drug Matt out with us!! Ha ha!
Day 29. I got another Top Eagle in my nest. I really like the kid's new school.
Day 30. My daughter was ready to head off to dance in this saucy little number she put together herself. She has a great sense of style sometimes. Woot. Woot.
Looking for the positive everyday really helps me stay positive..who woulda thunk it!!
38 years old. Matt is my closest friend in the world and the best husband ever. He is smart, determined, handy around the house, and good at anything he tries. I admire his drive to be successful and how he strives to always do the right thing. I know he truly loves me and he makes me feel beautiful. He is also a great father to our two children.
11 years old. She is smart, articulate, sweet, cute, LOUD and is so much fun to be around. She is always making us laugh. She loves animals! She is the best little girl ever. Please don't grow up too fast Lars!
8 years old: The ultimate "Momma's Boy". He is a curious, determined, sweet, affectionate boy with a 100 watt smile. I couldn't imagine my life without him!