Friday, March 25, 2011

Post Six

Post Six: A place I've traveled to.
I tried to think of a really exotic and cool place that I have been to...and I did go to the Bahamas for my honeymoon...but it was not quite what I had pictured and was actually quite scary. So, I thought of my favorite place to visit and really the only other cool place I've been. LOUISIANA! My grandma and grandpa and most of my mom's side of the family live there, so it makes it a special place to visit. Growing up we would spend summers there (the beauty of having a dad in the education business). Matt has even visited four times, and Lauren twice, AND Jamie went just once.
Louisiana has Parishes instead of Counties. My family lives in Iberia Parish which is southern Louisiana. It is very hot and humid. It is succeptable to hurricanes and there have been some very SCARY hurricanes in the last 20 years: Andrew, Rita, Katrina and Gustav (to name a few).
One of the coolest places to visit in Louisiana is New Orleans (in the Orleans parish). It is about 2 hours away from my family. I am not a crazy partier-but I do enjoy laughing at and being entertained by crazy partiers. The city has so much history-it is an amazing place to be. There is so much energy in the city! Bourbon street is a very famous street-there is a party there every night!
During the day, one of the MUST DOs in New Orleans is to visit Cafe Du Monde and eat these delicious morsels called Beignets. A French Doughnut. I want one of these SOO bad right now. The best is the loads of powdered sugar on top...don't inhale!
There are also some neat places to visit in New Iberia (where my family lives). One of them is called Shadows on the Teche, an old plantation house. It is amazing to see the history in this place.
The world famous Tabasco is made right in New Iberia! There is even a part of town that smells like vinegar, I am not kidding!
AND one of my MOST favorite thing to do there is, well, EAT! They have the best seafood there. It is so fresh. My favorite is when we have a crawfish boil. Imagine picnic tables lined up and covered with newspaper, then the chef (usually one of my uncles) dumps this out in front of you...to crack, peel and eat..ALL with your hands. FUN and delicious! In addition to the crawfish, there is usually corn, potatoes, onion, and sausage...(similar to the picture below).
There are a ton of bayou's (like a river) in Louisiana...the main one in New Iberia is the Bayou Teche. It is so beautiful.
The best part of Louisiana is my wonderful family there. I wish that I had a picture of them...but my family is GYNORMOUS! My mom is one of nine and most of them live there. I have so many wonderful memories there too! The last time I visited was 2008. I REALLY REALLY want to go in October for my cousin's wedding....we will see if it happens. For now, the memories will have to keep me satisfied.

1 comment: