Monday, May 7, 2012

Vacation/Staycation 2012

Instead of a big vacation this year, we opted to try to take a few small vacations.  I had wanted to go when Lauren was off-track...so we planned a little get-away to somewhere warm where the kids could swim. I chose St. George, (we had some friends there) I researched hotels and got Matt's consent AND we planned the PTO.  I found out about a week before we were gonna go that I was to start a new position at work the day we left, yikes!  Everyone told me just to go and have a good time, so I did my best not to think of the upcoming change.  

The kids had never heard of St. George but they were SOOO excited to go.  They were in the car and ready to go an hour before we left!  We actually left around 2pm on Wednesday May 2.  I made an awesomely cheesy road trip CD that I was super proud of making.  The kids did pretty good for the long ride down.  Here are pictures of them in the car.  Lauren kept herself busy by drawing. 
Jamie brought his DS, and enjoyed some treats on the way down. 
AS usual, I was really bad taking pictures, DOH!  We arrived in St. George around 615 pm.  RIGHT as I was finishing my huge book..THE HOST....perfect timing.  Great book!  Another good suggestion from my bestie Misty.  I was literally CRYING at the end of the book-Matt thought I was going crazy.  Anyway, we checked in the hotel and went to find a place to eat.  We ended up at this steakhouse called the Gun Barrel.  It was very good and we were FULL.  We hung out at the room for a bit-then we headed for a swim.  The kids were in heaven! *I need to add here that I had NO idea that there was an IRONMAN competition the week we were there...it was hard to NOT be self-conscious when there are all of these super in shape people around you!*

Thursday May 3rd.  I cracked up each morning seeing how my crazy sleepers had moved during the night.    Our hotel had an awesome breakfast buffet that we took advantage of both days.


Our first day after breakfast we headed out for more swimming.  The kids loved swimming so much they were begging us to go every 2 seconds, ugh!  Matt even got in the pool (WITHOUT sunscreen-which he paid dearly for later).  We took a break for lunch and headed to Kneaders.  Our friend Pam surprised us by meeting us there, AWESOME.  She used to rent our house and she is such a sweetheart.  After lunch we went back for MORE swimming. Then we got out and got ready for dinner at the Pizza Factory with Pam and her husband Chris.  We visited for a few hours-it was so great to catch up with them-we hadn't seen them in a year since they moved.  I ate TOO much pizza I could barely move-it was SOOO good.   

Jamie kept himself entertained during dinner by taking pictures of me.  LOL. 
I am SOO glad I was able to snag a few pictures of our group.  Here is Matt and the kids with Pam and Chris.  I call them our adopted parents-but it is more like we are there adopted kids-since their real kids live up in Washington/Oregon. I wish I woulda asked someone to take a picture of ALL of us together.
Me and the kids with Pam and Chris.
Pam and Chris and the kiddos.  Pam bought Lauren these awesome sunglasses.  Chris was teasing Jamie-telling him not to smile-which only made him smile more. Pam had little presents for the kids-she was so thoughtful!
To burn off some of the calories from dinner-we took the kids to play laser tag.  At first the kids were scared to play-but that quickly wore off and they were quick and deadly little boogers!  After Laser Tag-Lauren and I rode a 4D ride-so awesome.  We also played some games.  Jamie was too cute playing the alligator game.  He hit the jackpot on this other game and won 200 coins-he thought that was SOO cool!

We got back to our room, and watched RAT RACE.  My two cutie pies!
Friday May 4th- Here they were on our last morning...crazy sleepers!  I was worried Jamie was gonna fall out of the bed.


Here is Lauren at breakfast on our last day. 
Jamie and his crazy hair on our last morning.
I FINALLY got some shots of the kids swimming.  THEIR paradise.  I was able to swim A LOT with them...and also sit on the side and get some sun and read. I started "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest" and made it 250 pages in...now that is MY paradise!
My view for a lot of the trip.  MMMM.
My cute girl is one good little swimmer now.  She has a snorkel and she can stay under water for a long time!  I was pretty impressed with her and am thinking of putting them both into lessons this summer.
She loved jumping in the water.  The pool was heated.  I loved the Palm Trees!  It was about 20 degrees hotter than it was at home-so it was absolutely perfect.  I couldn't have asked for better weather!
Jamie made a little buddy-they were the same age and both had water wings.  This little boy was named Ryder and Jamie has told me he misses Ryder like 5 times since we got back.
Lauren and Jamie played quite well together MOST of the time.
Here is my little hottie.  Burned..yet still cool. I heart him.
Here are the three of us-about ready to head home.  SAD.

Here is a map showing the drive we took!  It took us about 4 hours and 15 minutes-not too bad.  We covered a lot of distance though.  WOW.  
\
We left at 12 and made it home about 430.  We unpacked quickly-relaxed for a few and then went to dinner at Zupas.  I stayed up late making some jewelry.  Matt went to bed early because he had to work the next day.  It was really nice for me to have 2 more days off AFTER I got back...awww.

Saturday May 5th-I woke up and took the kids to see my bestie Misty in Payson.  I am so MAD and SAD that I didn't take ANY pictures-usually we snap a few.  She helped me with a Mother's Day present and vice versa.  I could just talk to Misty ALL day...and pretty much did.  Our kids played pretty well together-the weather was nice so they played on the swingset most of the day...they were wiped out!  Payson is about an hour and a half away....I HATE that.  We made it home and had Cafe Rio as a family and we were all pooped so we all went to bed early.

Sunday May 6th-we woke up and rushed to church.  After church we went to Sam's Club to get a new vaccuum (YIPEE).  Matt also bought me my Mother's Day present-a NICE 3 book set of the Hunger Games-I can't wait!!!  Then we headed to the Gateway.  We ate at the California Pizza Kitchen-the BBQ chicken pizza is to DIE for.  Then we wanted the vacation to end with a BANG so we took the kids to see the Avengers.  It was such an awesome movie.  Jamie was in heaven with ALL of the superheros.  It was so much fun to see how excited he was getting seeing all of the characters and calling out their names.  SOO much fun.  WELL...except for there was this guy next to Jamie who must have taken his shoes off and his feet stunk SOOO bad.  Literally I could taste it in the air-I almost threw up it stunk so bad.  I am SOO thankful that Matt doesn't have stinky feet, I don't think I could handle it. There were so many great things about the movie that I can't name them all here.  Just go see it, it rocks. 
AND that is the end of our journey.  I officially start my new position tomorrow.  It is after 1am, I should be in bed...but I am a little nervous about my new job....I hate the unknown-that is why I hate change.  Well, I had a great distraction.  I love my little family and the great friends that I got to spend some time with are just the cherry on top!  I am just so happy right now, so content.


3 comments:

Christy said...

Fun! St. George is our favorite. I made several trips with the kiddos during tax season. A little sun is definitely what the Dr. ordered! What cute kids you have!

Misty said...

It sounds like you had so much fun! And of course, spending all day Saturday with me - how could it not be heaven? :) Next time you had to St. George, let us know ... we'll tag along! (It's only 3 hours away from us!) :)

Misty said...

I totally thought I commented on this! I'm glad we got to be party of your staycation -- I LOVED seeing you IRL!