Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Zoo and friends from 78

As a kid I used to feel like sort of an only child. My siblings were much older and much younger than me. Fortunately I grew up in a neighborhood with like a ton of girls my age, they were like sisters to me. There was Heather who lived across the street for over 20 years, she was 2 years older in school, and whose family was like my second family. Then there was Nicky who lived kitty corner, she lived there until I was 13, and her little brothers were like MY little brothers. We stayed close after she moved to West Velley as well. She introduced me to quite a few boyfriends...3 to be exact! I had some of the best times of my life with her. She came back to my high school for my senior year, it was great to have her back to end my school life with her by my side. After high school she moved to California, I visited her there two years later. She came to my wedding in 1999, and I haven't seen her since!! BUT we stayed close. Through e-mails, phone calls, My Space and Facebook, we stayed in touch and kept up on each other. Like a sister, it is just nice to have someone who knows the people you know, someone who you share so many great memories with. She FINALLY moved back to Utah and we FINALLY got to see each other. After so long not seeing each other, also like a relative, the time didn't matter, we were just like "peas and carrots" again. It was also great to see her daughters in person after seeing so many pictures and hearing so many stories. We met up for lunch and for a trip to the zoo. Good times!

The first thing we saw were these bats, I don't think that I have ever seen a bat in person, and the way they clumped together was sort of sweet and creepy at the same time.

We also got to see baby "Zuri" the elephant. So cute!

Lauren and Nicky's daughter, Katelyn. They are a year apart, and got along really well. They even had the same shirt! LOL. Cute girls! Seeing them together kind of reminds me of Nicky and I when we were that age. I wish I could scan a pic of Nicky and I to prove it to ya!

Here is her oldest daughter, Hailey, and my kiddos on a statue. Nicky's husband is really tall and her kids definitely got that gene from him.

My favorite were the penguins. They were so cute. I could have watched them all day.

Lauren and Jamie kept bugging us all day long to ride the train, so we obliged.

And here is Nicky and I. It is amazing to me that I have known her for almost 33 years, my entire life! I am so lucky to have had grown up with her.

Here is my cute little Lars. Is it just me or is she photogenic?

Here is another shot of Nicky and I. I hope now that she is here we see each other more often.

Okay, I think this is my favorite picture. The four of the kiddos in the boat. Jamie had such a crush on Nicky's two girls. They were so sweet with him too.

Here is my adorable boy on the carousel.

Cute Katelyn on the carousel.

I kept telling Hailey that she should be a model, since she is going to be nearly 6 feet tall I believe. Here she is striking a pose, with the kiddos on the big gorilla.

The actual gorilla was so cute. He was sucking his finger. It reminds me of my two little current and former thumb suckers.

This picture is great! The kids fit perfectly against the monkey family.

It was a great day at the zoo, not too hot and not too cold. We got there sorta late, and after we had been there for a while, the zoo closed, but was still open...so it was great to walk around with virtually no one there. We had snacks and then we headed back to my house to visit for a while. I had a great time going through old pictures and showing them to her daughters. It brought back the good old times of my youth. We had lots of laughs at the expense of our crazy hairstyles from the 80s and 90s.

This trip to the zoo was the middle of July, and we have another playdate this Friday to go to Lagoon. They have season passes and it will be our first trip this year. Lauren can hardly stand the wait. I hope Jamie can keep up, well I guess that I hope that I can keep up as well. Sure do love ya Nicky, can't wait to see ya again!

1 comment:

Lamb Fam said...

How fun!!! Nicki was always such a sweetheart. I'm glad you two were able to hook up. Life long friends are the best there are!