Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Inspired by Misty! My project!

Back in 2006, I met a girl named Misty. She came to my team at Discover Card right out of training. She was shy, sweet, athletic, TOTALLY in love with her husband and trying desperately to get pregnant. I was also trying to get pregnant at the time, so we had a lot of ups and downs together. Actually, I think she was one of the first people I told when I finally did become pregnant. We became good friends for the short time she worked under me but it was enough to create a special bond. Her TWIN boys are exactly one month younger than Jamie! Even though I have never seen the boys in person, and the last time I saw Misty was when I went to her baby shower (she lives in Payson), I still feel close to her. We have kept in touch through our blogs, through e-mails and on Facebook. She is such a wonderfully sweet, loving and amazing person who is uber creative. I am always amazed at the SUPERWOMAN that she is and all of her little crafty projects. SO...this is for you Misty! You were my inspiration!

I have been wanting to get Lauren a big jewelry box for quite some time now, but never found the right one. Well, I was shopping at the Pottery Barn Kids outlet, when I came across these gorgeous jewelry boxes. I thought it would make a great present for Lauren's upcoming birthday. The only problem is that they are engraved with SOMEONE else's name! Well, I channelled my inner-Misty and began to think of solutions. Here is the documentation of the journey. On a side note, out of curiosity, I went to the Pottery Barn Kids website and this sells for $70. I was able to purchase it for $7.50!

There is a lot of storage for all the bracelets I have made for her!!

I love the name "Audrey" and I adore Audrey Hepburn...but I really wanted it to say "Lauren"...so with an exacto knife and some "Goo Gone", I scrubbed off the name.

Here it is, ALL clean!

For Lauren's birthday I am getting her a new bedspread, because apparently Dora was "so a year ago"....the new one will be brown, pink, and white. I found the PERFECT stickers at Micheals!

AND here is the finished product!

I can't wait to give it to her on her birthday this Friday!!! A special present for my special little girl!

Misty, I hope I did you proud. Love ya!

6 comments:

Mom of three ♥ said...

That is so cute and great job at re doing the name! I love getting things that are done by Pottery barn, but getting then way cheaper!! Looks cute and I know Lauren will love it!

Beth said...

I love love love the jewelery box! I want one!
I have heard alot about Misty, didn't know she was in Payson

Christy said...

It turned out WONDERFUL! Way to go.... see you had it in you all along.

Summer said...

Impressive!

Where is the Pottery Barn Kids Outlet?

Misty said...

Okay, Rachel...I haven't commented yet because I didn't know how to respond to such a sweet & thoughtful post. It's crazy to think that we met four years ago and even crazier to think about all of the good that you've added to my life after only working with your for 9 months! I just love ya to pieces! :)

Now onto the jewelry box:
HOLY CATS, RACHEL!! :) It looks SO great, and Lauren is going to love it! Those stickers are going to be perfect with the colors in her room, and the flowers add a lot that the original "Audrey" was missing out on! I'm actually starting to covet the jewelry box. :) Please please post Lauren's reaction when she opens her presents tomorrow!

You did me WAY proud - I always knew you had it in you! :)

Rachel said...

That is adorable!!! I am so not crafty. Now you are my inspiration. ( :