Monday, August 15, 2011

Attention any gardeners!

About 2 years ago Matt told me that he wanted to start a compost pile. He told me to collect anything organic for the pile. So, slowly for the past 2 years, non-shalantly we have started a little pile in the corner of our backyard. (can you see the avocado peels that have yet to decompose?). Anyway, recently much to my surprise our compost pile began to grow, um, SOMETHING!

I have never had a garden, and had intended to start one this year-but we never got around to it. So, this is my new little accidental garden. I think with all the rain this year-these little fellas were able to grow.

The problem is.....I have no idea what I am growing! So-if there are any of you experts out there who know what this is. Please share!


I was sort of thinking pumpkins, or cucumber, or maybe squash. We have put literally every single fruit and vegetable in this pile.

Whatever is growing-there are quite a few of them!

Heart shaped leaves. They are a little dirty due to the recent windstorm.


They have these long whispy tendrils and stems with prickles.


Now I can't believe I am sharing this picture. BUT for all of you smart-alecs out there who say I am just growing weeds in my compost pile...here are my REAL weeds in the corner and they look NOTHING like my compost surprise.

I thought since I was snapping shots, I would share what Matt has been up to. He wants to make a patio that would come right out of our basement-so he is digging up the dirt. He has spent many hours a day on this little project. Check out his progress!



Here is the other side of the steps. A shot from afar. I can't wait to see what it will look like when he is done. The plan is to expand the deck that comes out from upstairs and it will serve as shelter for the bottom patio. It will be a nice cool place to hang out in the summer.


2 comments:

Christy said...

Looks like pumpkins to me.... I always throw the "guts" from the pumpkins (after Halloween)into a small bed that I have and every year I get at least a handful that come from the seeds the year before. Got to love free pumpkins!

mycouponbasket said...

Your little garden seems to be very beautiful. I like it.